Eco-friendly catering & food
The catering and beverages for your wedding reception consume a large portion of your budget - and will probably have the second greatest eco-impact after transportation.
Certainly don't be afraid to ask your reception venue if they can use organic and local produce - you can even point them towards a producer you may know of.
Some easy tips to make your wedding reception more eco-friendly:
- Use local, seasonal and organic ingredients where ever possible.
- Choose Australian-grown organic wine, beer and beverages.
- Use biodegradable dinnerware, such as elegant Bambu dining ware or palm leaf plates.
- Use banana or bamboo leaf platters to serve your canapés.
- Use local or organic coffee, tea and chocolates.
- For a self-catered reception, consider asking guests to bring a plate instead of a gift.
:: NW tips :: Dr David Suzuki believes that if you need to choose between organic food that needs to be transported a long way or locally-grown food, then the local food is the better choice for the environment.
For more natural wedding advice visit our Green Wedding Ideas & Green Events blog.