How to make your own vintage cake stand
Here's a brilliant way to dress up your dessert table without spending a fortune on a cake stand.
This little project only requires 3 supplies and tad of creativity. Combine these things and you too can have your own fancy cake stand. Pick up a few plates from second hand stores, a package of super glue and some candle sticks. Here we provide exact directions as well as some great budget ideas on how to fancy up your cakes and cookies.
1. Gather three plates of various sizes from small to large. You can find them at a thrift store or garage sales for as little as $5 each. You'll also need a small tube of super glue. Here we have used glass candle holders that we found at Spotlight, but you can also find them at your local thrift store. You can use anything that is sturdy enough to hold the size of the plates and that will glue to porcelain.
2. Set the scene. Match the right size plate with the candle holder you are going to use. Step back and see how they look together. Now is the time to make your adjustments.
3. Add a little of glue in the middle of the plate underside. Now put glue on the rim of the candle holder base. Make sure that you don’t squeeze to hard as you will have an overflow of glue. To clean the area, just use a damp paper towel or cloth to clean off the excess glue.
4. Leave the plate overnight before trying to move it. Then test the strength of the glue. If you can hold it upside down for as long as you want, and it won’t budge, you're good to go!
6. You can even go further by stacking them to make tiers, although if you don’t glue it down you can always remove the plate for easier access to cleaning or food!
7. You can also dazzle up the edges by attaching jewelry beads or crystals to the edges. For this, you would lightly sand the edges of the plate and hot glue, or super glue the beads to the edge. You can use super glue however, it will take you a very long time for the drying process and it's hard to keep the beads in place because of their weight.
Please don't put the cake stand or the plate in the dishwasher after use. Just hand wash lightly.
For more natural wedding advice visit our green wedding ideas & green events blog.
Want more tips and advice on how to plan your wedding or event with the environment in mind? Sign up for our newsletter>